Pages

Wednesday, November 19, 2014

A New Direction

I survived (and thoroughly enjoyed) my first author events. The local author fair went well but I was disappointed in the overall attendance. As the only local event of this kind I thought it would be advertised and promoted more than just in the library and on their website. My Fairfield Corners covers received quite a few compliments ~ thank you Sprinkles on Top Studios! And, I sold three books so I am considering the day a "win".



Indie Unmasked was a lot of fun. This was my first experience at an author event of this type. After drawing a blank at the first question about my books and stumbling through an answer (I was just a bit nervous) I found my footing and was definitely more coherent the rest of the day. There were some fabulous authors there and I wish I had more time (and the courage) to talk with them. I did get to meet author Amber Nation who I chat with on Facebook (if you love romance you should read her Brown County series - I definitely recommend them) and I had the opportunity to fangirl over Mia Sheriden - her novel, Archer's Voice, is one of my favorite books this year. My best friend (acting as my assistant) had a chance to scope out everyone's swag and came back with some ideas we may try in the future. And more compliments on the Fairfield Corners covers!











The masquerade was fun - it was great to hear some of the attendees fangirling about being able to spend time with their favorite authors.



As the odometer ticked off the miles on the trip home I thought about this whole author gig and how I've been stressing myself out over NaNoWriMo and word counts and how the story was falling flat. I realized that Beneath The Lake is just not ready to written... yet. I love the story and concept but it's just not there and trying to force it isn't working. Therefore, I am putting it back into the "maybe later" file in my head and I will not be finishing NaNo this year.

I don't want to lose my love of writing. Seriously, what other career choice is as perfect for an introvert with an active imagination? Stressing about it makes it seem more like a job and I already have one of those.

After some serious thought my goals for 2015 look like this:


  1. Write every day.
  2. Break down marketing into manageable pieces.
  3. Find more/different ways to reach readers.
  4. Build up my newsletter subscriber list.
  5. Guest blog.
  6. Attend more author events (if possible).


Writing may never pay all the bills but I need the creative outlet. Never fear, there are many more stories to come.

Until next time!



L.A. Remenicky


1 comment:

  1. I loved the covers which is what orginally drew me to your books. Yes I do tend to judge a book by the cover. I loved Saving Cassie and can't wait to read Ragan's Song and Invisible. I'm so glad my friend took me to indie unmasked it was a great time and I have so many books to add to my list. Thanks for writing

    ReplyDelete