Pages

Monday, July 8, 2013

Don't Skimp on the Editing!

How many spelling or grammar errors did you find in the last book you read?  Was it an ebook or a traditional book?  How do these errors color your overall feeling about a story?

I try to look past the errors to the story itself but sometimes there are so many errors that the story gets lost.  I feel like a grammar geek, seeing all these errors out there.  Finding all those errors doesn't have to be expensive - have a friend or family member read through your story.  I found a couple of people through Facebook to read through my book and they found quite a few errors that I missed.  I am too close to my writing to edit it effectively, but I can spot errors in other author's books with no problem.



I even found a Facebook page for a free editing service.  Unfortunately, that didn't work out so well, the service has been temporarily discontinued. There was a complete lack of professionalism, I found out the service was being discontinued from a post on their page but they indicated they would complete any projects already in process.  In my opinion they should have notified their "customers" personally (through email or pm).  I have sent emails but have received no replies and the promised completion date is long past).  I guess you get what you pay for.

What is your editing story?  Did you have a good experience or a bad experience?


No comments:

Post a Comment