Pages

Sunday, November 24, 2013

Another Lesson Learned

What is that lesson you ask? It boils down to this - you get what you pay for. Any of you who follow my author page on Facebook know that I recently sent my next novel, Invisible, off to my new editor. I just received the file back for the first round of edits and the volume of changes that need to be made is staggering - it seems I have an issue staying in past tense when I write and I tend to start sentences with he, she, or I. I have been assured these are common mistakes (especially for new writers) and to not stress about it.



Anyway, back to the lesson learned. On my first book I had a free final edit and now I wonder if that was enough. Don't get me wrong, the editor did exactly what she promised - a final edit and she did an awesome job. The error was on my part. I'm thinking I should have paid for a full edit, especially with it being my first book. Once I get Invisible released I think I will go back and revisit Saving Cassie and decide if I should have a full edit done.



Remember, you get what you pay for and when you self-publish that could directly affect your book sales. A full edit is scary and it can be expensive but it could mean the difference between selling a few copies and selling a lot of copies.

I'm itching to get started making the needed changes but I have #NANO to finish and my word count is not where it should be. I am signing off for now so I can get back to my #NANO story.

Until next time,

Happy reading (and writing)!

No comments:

Post a Comment