Pages

Sunday, September 28, 2014

The Downside Of Indie - A Post From The Trenches


I love being an indie author. No one telling me what to write, when to write, or giving me deadlines. Plus, I have total creative control. I decide what cover to use, what blurb to use, and how I want to promote my work.

But, there is a big elephant in the room - the downside of going indie...





The cost.



That's all, the cost. All editing, promotion, and cover design costs are mine and mine alone. The cost of putting out a quality book can range from nothing up into the thousands of dollars. I try to save money where I can; I format my own books and I make my own graphics and teasers. Maybe it's time to look into doing my own covers. Making graphics and teasers isn't free. It costs money to get high-quality photos to use - photographers deserve to get paid for their work also. Shutterstock isn't cheap.

Looking at my bank account today it became clear that something has to give. For the first time I didn't have enough in my savings account to pay off my credit card bill. That is unacceptable. I need to figure out some way to sell more than one or two books a month.

This summer has been especially expensive with covers and editing for two books. I love the way Saving Cassie turned out but I really hope it was worth the expense of a new cover and professional editing. I'm not complaining, just explaining how this whole indie thing works. I wish I could give my books away for free but I am not independently wealthy so don't look for that to happen any time soon.


Remember that the next time you click on that "one-click" button on Amazon.com. An indie author put way more into that ebook than the price you are paying. We pour our heart and soul into our work (at least I do) and the small price we ask for that ebook will in no way cover all the blood, sweat, and tears that went into getting that book ready for you.




Just some thoughts from the trenches...

Until next time,


L.A. Remenicky
Love Stories With A Twist








No comments:

Post a Comment