Pages

Sunday, February 23, 2014

It's About The Journey

Show of hands - how many of you have read both Saving Cassie and Invisible?

From the release of Saving Cassie in October until the release of Invisible the last day of January, only four months had passed on the calendar but on a writer's journey it feels much longer. If you've read both of my books I'm sure you can tell which came first.

And I'm not the only one. Take a look at an early book by Nora Roberts and compare it to one of her more recent releases. The differences show how even the big names started at the same place I am now. I learned a lot about self-publishing with Saving Cassie and I will continue to learn with each release. With Saving Cassie I jumped in and learned by doing.

I am lucky, there is a wonderful local writers group in my hometown. The monthly meetings are a welcome change from the solitary business of writing. This month was a discussion on self-editing and some of the things to look for when editing your work. Head hopping, deep POV versus third person POV, generic verbs, passive versus active voice, and the list goes on. We all write different genres but the editing process is the same regardless of the genre. Every meeting gives me something to think about while I type away on my latest work in progress.

And the moral of the story is: keep learning and honing your craft. Writing is a process and a journey. Enjoy the journey and keep learning.

Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment